Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ice, Corn Nibblets & Washing Machines

I, for some reason or another decided to defrost my big freezer. Well, I guess it could have been the fact that the door wouldn't shut anymore.

I really had no idea how to go about it. I know, it sounds stupid; sue me, but I've never done it before. I needed to go to my favorite information source. The Internet.

The very first article I found on eHow gave me a very good suggestion. Put whatever food you don't want defrosted into a cooler. Great idea! I don't know if it was because it was pre-coffee, but I hadn't even thought about where I was going to put the food. I just wanted the frost to go away. So I went out to the shed to retrieve the camp cooler. The last person to use it was my son, camping with his girlfriend. Surprise! They didn't rinse it out. Sigh. That done and over with I was ready to get down to business.

I was able to empty the door, and the top shelf into the cooler. Shit. Now what? As I stood in front of the yawning door of the freezer, my gaze landed upon the washing machine. Ever have an "aha moment"? In went all the frozen veggies (I tend to stock up because I make my dog's food home made and I like to give them lots of veggies) and that emptied the second shelf. I threw a towel over it and shut the lid. Then as another thought struck me, I left myself a note that there was food in there. I am one smart cookie, if I do say so myself.

One more shelf and the bottom drawer to go. I briefly thought about putting the rest in the dryer, but for some reason that just struck me as a bad route to go. Not sure why. I went in the kitchen to see how much room I had in the little freezer. It's amazing how you can consolidate freezer space when you toss out the miscellaneous crap that you don't even recognize. I found so many half eaten candy bars (my husband likes frozen candy)that I was able to rearrange it enough to be able to put his Corn Nibblets collection all in the little freezer.


Ok, all that was left was a giant rack of ribs and a turkey. I put those in the kitchen sink, and arranged all the frozen ice packs I had recently found that I didn't even know I had, around them. Then I had another idea. I put a layer of aluminum foil over the top of that and then a big thick bath towel folded in two. Sometimes I even amaze myself with my cleverness.

So now let's see how long this takes....

No comments:

Post a Comment