Thursday, October 04, 2012

My Dogs - Heartbeats At My Feet

I've been thinking a lot about dogs and kids.  At what age is it too early to have a kid?  Are three dogs too many?  How many is too many?  Who has the right to judge?  I'm not talking about 20 kids or hoarding 100 dogs, but 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 of either.  

I came from a family of 8 children.  I'm not going to get into the history of my childhood, but some said there were too many kids in my family.  These statement were made by random people just stating their opinion based on their own values.  Key words: THEIR. OWN.


I believe that if God had decided to make it possible for me to have more than 1 child I would have.  I'm not known for my fondness of other people's children except my own nieces, nephews and other non-screaming kids, but I believe that I would have been a great mom to multiple kids.  However, that never happened so I have dogs.

We've limited ourselves to three permanent dogs, however my heart is bigger than my pocketbook so I foster.  When a dog comes to me through a rescue group, they pay for all incidentals and whatnot if I can't, while I am getting the pooch ready to be adopted by a forever family.  I do this because it makes me feel good.  Is that wrong?
Hazelnut (adopted)
Despite how others might judge me, I know that I have given my own dogs the best possible life they could have gotten.  They are loved, well-fed, warm, and healthy.  My foster dogs, have gotten the chance to live in a mellow home, learning from our family dogs.

My past foster dogs have learned patience, obedience  and how to be calm when receiving affection from our dog, Harpo. Harpo taught me patience, and how to accept love unconditionally.


My past foster dogs have learned submissiveness, how to play friendly, and how to relax from my wonderful girl, Mazzy.  Mazzy  has also taught me patience, perseverance, and how it's okay to love no matter what others say.

My past foster dogs have learned how to play with smaller dogs, how the crate is not a bad thing, and how to share from my cutey pie, Buttercup.  Buttercup has taught me to trust in my instincts, and how to be brave no matter how small I might feel.

Foster Stella (adopted)
I hope that some of the lessons that I, my own dogs and all my past foster dogs have learned from each other get passed on to others.  Whether it be just a moment in time, or a lifetime of moments, we learn everyday of our lives from others.

Despite what some might think, I do not fill my "empty life" with "another animal" and yet "another animal".  My life is not empty, because I know that I am helping these dogs find a new life that will benefit them.
Mazzy, Freaky-Kitty, Buttercup

My life is not "empty", because I have a loving husband who tells me that one of the things he loves about me is my compassion, and willingness to help others; dog or human.  Why would I take that away? I don't "need" to "get another animal" to fulfill myself.  I help animals because they need it.  I help them because I have a love for creatures other than myself, creatures that cannot help themselves.

Ruby Begonia (adopted)
Despite any other stuff that might be going on between me, my son, or my husband, we always rally around when one of our dogs or foster dogs need us.  And they are always here for us when we need some unconditional love.
Annabelle (adopted) 

I am 39 years old.  I can't have any more children.  I had mine early, he's grown now.  But if I were to compare myself to some my own age I would think:  They are having babies.  I have my dogs and the joy of helping other dogs.  So are they having babies to "fill their empty life"?  Or are they having babies because they want someone to love and cuddle and take of.  Someone that they can shape into a good person, with good manners and a love for the joy of life?  Well, some of my reasons for fostering dogs are the same.
Left to right: Buttercup, Mazzy, Harpo


No comments:

Post a Comment