Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Picking a Winner, At Least for Right Now


In the last two years I have developed this strange habit of reading several books at once.  I call this "strange", because in the past I have only been able to concentrate on one book at a time; usually all at once.  Actually, let me rephrase that.  I could concentrate on more that one, but I didn't want to.  It seemed as if I was consumed by what I was reading, despite all else going around me. 

I believe I used reading a book all in once as a type of "escape" from the real world; if only a brief one.  For those several hours of getting away from my life, I could be anywhere, be anyone, and do anything.  Ever since I was a child this has worked for me.  But unfortunately it no longer does.

No longer can I use a book as a ferry to other worlds, other lives.  No longer can I be that fly on the wall that sees and hears all.  No longer can I hide behind the [book] spine of Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovitch, or anyone else for that matter, to just get away.

One of the reasons this is true is because my life is no longer simple enough to dismiss; no longer seemingly one-dimensional.  I am no longer one-dimensional.  Yes, that is how I thought of myself.

However in the past few years I have gotten into the habit of reading several books at once.  By "at once" I don't mean some super human feat of having eight books spread out in front of me, while my eyes go a million miles an hour devouring every word.  I mean that I have two books ready for me in the bathroom, three in the living room, one in the car, one in my purse, and five on my nightstand.

I don't know what's going on in my head anymore, but now as I grow older, my tastes have broadened when it comes to the written word.  I no longer look for just the popular (although still good) authors when buying a book.  I am taking a chance and reading some independent authors, essays, non-fiction, political, biographies, among others.  Now the choice of what I read is based on my mood.  And it's nice to have so many ready and waiting to choose from, something that at any time can match any moment in my crazy life. 

So in respect to my rambling thoughts, I am recommending the "nightstand book" that I finished today.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:03 AM

    I was considering that book to read. How was it. My taste has changed with age also. Gone is the Fantasy stage, and on to other stories. My problem is that I find myself drawn to authors whose books seem to be out of print and hard to find. Making me want them all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon8:34 PM

    I finished the book, The Bone Collector, that I bought at your yard sale. I couldn't put it down. Now I have to get the movie! Thanks for suggesting it Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete